US embassy warns of planned attack on Kabul hotel

US embassy warns of planned attack on Kabul hotel

Published
Baghe Babur, Kabul, Afghanistan (Photo: Flickr / Ninara)

The U.S. embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan warned American citizens to stay away from the Star Hotel following reports that insurgents are planning an attack.

WASHINGTON (Talk Media News) – The U.S. embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan warned American citizens to stay away from a local hotel following reports that insurgents are planning an attack.

“In response to this potential threat, the U.S. Embassy Kabul is advising American citizens to avoid the Star Hotel, and to remain vigilant when visiting hotels in Kabul, especially during large gatherings,” the embassy said in a statement.

The State Department already has a travel warning in place for Afghanistan, which deems the security situation “extremely unstable” and finds that “the threat to all U.S. citizens in Afghanistan remains critical.”

The warning follows a rocket attack in the city that resulted in no causalities late Saturday, which the Taliban claimed credit for.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry had been in the city prior to the rocket attack, where he visited the U.S. embassy and met with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

In a joint press conference with Ghani on Saturday, Kerry pressed Afghani leaders to work together, saying that democracy requires “different political and ethnic and geographic factions to be able to come together and work toward a common good.”

In the coming months NATO and international donors will meet to negotiate ongoing financial support for Afghanistan, which has seen a resurgence of the Taliban and the blossoming of the Islamic State militant group in recent months.

There are 9,800 U.S. troops on the ground in Afghanistan serving in counterterrorism and train, advise and assist roles; that number is set to fall to 5,500 next year. Kerry said Saturday that President Barack Obama does not intend to change that drawdown plan now.

Last month NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg rejected the idea of restarting combat operations in Afghanistan, which ended in June 2013. Stoltenberg said that it would likely be a “difficult year” but local security forces are “capable of providing sufficient security for the country.”

  • Subscribe to Talk Media News


  • NO COMMENTS

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.