WASHINGTON — Christine Blasey Ford, the California professor accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, might be willing to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee this week without a completed FBI investigation into the alleged incident — a significant reversal from her previous position.
According to the New York Times, Ford’s attorney Debra Katz told the committee via email that her client is prepared to speak to the panel at some point next week if certain conditions assuring her safety are met.
Ford has received death threats after publicly airing her story, her attorney Lisa Banks said earlier this week.
In an interview with the Washington Post published on Sunday, Ford claimed that Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her and tried to remove her clothing when they were both teenagers.
Ford, 51, also said that Kavanaugh, 53, had covered her mouth and that she feared for her life.
Kavanaugh has vehemently denied the allegations, but the committee has planned a hearing for Monday aimed at allowing both the nominee and his accuser to share their accounts.
On Tuesday, however, Banks said that her client would not be ready to testify until law enforcement completes an independent investigation, triggering fears that the hearing could be canceled.
The committee has suggested the possibility of a private hearing with Ford as well as one with just staffers in an effort to ease her concerns.
Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Ia.) has not publicly responded to Katz’ email. On Wednesday he said the hearing will take place on Monday — with or without Ford.