Pelosi: Democrats will not support border wall funding in exchange for DACA

Pelosi: Democrats will not support border wall funding in exchange for DACA

Published
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) says she is noncommittal on passing President Donald Trump's United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA) trade agreement, Dec. 6, 2018, (Photo ©2018, Doug Christian)
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said at her weekly news conference on Thursday that she is noncommittal on passing President Donald Trump's United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement trade agreement, (Photo ©2018, Doug Christian/TMN)

WASHINGTON – House Minority Leader and Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi said she would not agree to support border wall funding in exchange for a deal to protect recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

“No,” Pelosi (D-Calif.) said in response to question at a news conference on Thursday.

When asked why, Pelosi said: “Because they’re two different subjects.”

Pelosi said the idea of a border wall is “immoral” and that it would be “ineffective” at stopping illegal entry into the U.S.

President Donald Trump has threatened a government shutdown if Congress does not agree to provide $5 billion for the wall.

Congress passed a series of minibus bills this fall that fund 75 percent of the government through Sep. 30, 2019. Funding for the remaining 25 percent of the government expires after midnight on Friday.

Both the House and Senate today are expected to pass an extension that would fund the outstanding executive departments through Dec. 21.

The Department of Homeland Security is one of those departments. Funding for border security is allocated through DHS appropriations.

The FY 2018 DHS appropriations bill allocated $1.6 billion for border security.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) has said Democrats will not agree to provide more than that amount in FY 2019.

Schumer and Pelosi are scheduled to meet with Trump at the White House on Tuesday to discuss appropriations.

This year Congress twice failed to pass legislation to protect the estimated 800,000 DACA recipients.

  • Subscribe to Talk Media News


  • NO COMMENTS

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.