WASHINGTON — Three U.S. service members were killed Monday by an improvised explosive device near Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, in the deadliest attack on U.S. forces this year.
Three other U.S. service members and a contractor were wounded in the explosion, the Pentagon said Monday.
Bagram is about about 40 miles north of Kabul, the Afghan capital. It is the largest U.S. base in that country.
Initial reports said the device detonated was a car bomb. The Taliban is claiming responsibility for the attack, according to local news reports.
The three deaths bring to seven the number of U.S. military killed in Afghanistan this year. Last year 14 U.S service personnel were killed in Afghanistan.
The deaths come as representatives of the U.S. and the Taliban continue talks aimed at establishing a path to a negotiated end to the conflict, America’s longest war.
The attack was the worst since three U.S. troops were killed Nov. 27, 2018, in a bomb attack near Ghazni City. There have been 2,424 U.S. troops killed during the war.
“The wounded service members were evacuated and are receiving medical care,” a statement from the military said. “In accordance with U.S. Department of Defense policy, the name of the service members killed in action are being withheld until 24 hours after notification of next of kin is complete.”
The U.S. has about 14,000 troops in the country, joined by forces from NATO and other nations.