Nadler says he has reached an agreement with DoJ on key Mueller...

Nadler says he has reached an agreement with DoJ on key Mueller documents

Published
Feb. 26, 2019
Rep. Jerrold Nadler, shown in a file photo, oversees a hearing with the House Judiciary Committee (judiciary.house.gov)

WASHINGTON – House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler announced Monday that the Justice Department has agreed to begin turning over subpoenaed documents related to Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election.

“I am pleased to announce that the Department of Justice has agreed to begin complying with our committee’s subpoena by opening Robert Mueller’s most important files to us, providing us with key evidence that the Special Counsel used to assess whether the President and others obstructed justice or were engaged in other misconduct,” Nadler (D-N.Y.) said in a statement.

He added: “The Department will share the first of these documents with us later today.  All members of the Judiciary Committee—Democrats and Republicans alike—will be able to view them. These documents will allow us to perform our constitutional duties and decide how to respond to the allegations laid out against the President by the Special Counsel.”

Nadler said that because of the agreement he will “hold the criminal contempt process in abeyance for now.”

The agreement comes one day before the full House is expected to vote on a resolution to hold Attorney General William Barr and former White House Counsel Don McGahn II in contempt for failing to provide the committee with documents related to the unredacted version of Mueller’s 400-plus page report on his investigation.

While the agreement takes the possibility of criminal contempt off the table, a finding that could carry jail or monetary fines, it does not remove the possibility of civil contempt.

Members are expected to proceed with a planned Tuesday afternoon vote to allow the committee to go to court to enforce its subpoenas.

Mueller said at a news conference last month that President Donald Trump was not charged with obstruction because of Justice Department regulations that prohibit the indictment of a sitting president. It was the first time Mueller spoke publicly about the 22-month investigation, which concluded in March.

Both Trump and GOP lawmakers dismissed Mueller’s remarks as old news.

Mueller said he did not find evidence of collusion between members of the Trump campaign and Russian officials. Mueller did not make a determination as to whether obstruction had occurred.

  • Subscribe to Talk Media News


  • NO COMMENTS

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.