Milley: nothing has changed, he “absolutely” will not follow illegal orders

Milley: nothing has changed, he “absolutely” will not follow illegal orders

Published
Gen. Mark Milley, right in uniform, walks with others and President Trump en route to a photo op last week (pool photo)

WASHINGTON — Gen. Mark Milley said he has always followed lawful orders and intends to continue to do so and not obey any illegal command.

“My bottom line response to the question (of following illegal orders) in your June 1 letter is absolutely not,” Milley, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Command, said in a letter to Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz.

Gallego, a member of the House Armed Services Committee and a Marine veteran, wrote to Milley after his participation in events last week outside the White and in Lafayette Square, where peaceful demonstrators were teargassed and forcibly removed so President Trump could walk to a church for a photo-op.

Miley also was criticized for wearing battle fatigues then and later as he walked the streets that night in Washington to meet some of the National Guard troops on duty. His dress was explained that he was en route to a meeting in the FBI command center and not the White House.

Gallego’s June 1 letter simply asked, “General Milley: Do you intend to obey illegal orders from the President?”

In his response, Milley said he testified during his confirmation hearing that he would not follow an illegal order and that “I have personally abided by this standard since my commissioning 40 years ago — and I will not change now.”

  • Subscribe to Talk Media News


  • NO COMMENTS

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.