WASHINGTON — A fourth U.S. service member has died from a bomb attack last week in Afghanistan that initially killed three others.
The Pentagon said Monday that Sgt. Jason Mitchell McClary, 24, from Export, Penn., died Sunday in the military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, as a result of injuries sustained from an improvised explosive device on Tuesday.
The attack occurred in Andar District, Ghazni Province, and remains under investigation.
McClary was assigned to 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colorado, the Pentagon said in a statement to the media.
His death brings to 14 the number of U.S. service personnel killed in Afghanistan this year.
Two other service members and one U.S. contractor were wounded in the attack last week.
About 15,000 U.S. service personnel are now in Afghanistan. U.S. forces first entered the country in October 2001. Since that time, at least 2,418 U.S. service personnel have been killed in combat in Afghanistan.