(Talk Media News) — The FBI on Wednesday said that the suspects who went on a shooting spree in San Bernardino, Calif. earlier this month did not use social media to publicly support jihad.
FBI Director James Comey told reporters that there was “no evidence of a posting on social media by either of them” to lead authorities to suspect they were planning an attack, or that they had been radicalized.
However, Comey said that the suspects, Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, used “direct, private messages” to communicate.
The comments come the day after the Republican debate, where many called for a wider surveillance program to monitor social media postings for suspected terrorists. However, given the nature of the private messages, it’s likely those proposals would have been ineffective.