10 sailors have left Iranian custody.
WASHINGTON (Talk Media News) –Iran has returned the 10 U.S. Navy sailors taken into the country’s custody on Tuesday, according to a statement released Wednesday by Naval Forces Central Command.
“The Sailors departed Farsi Island at 8:43 a.m. (GMT), aboard the two Riverine Command Boats (RCB) that they had been operating when they lost contact with the U.S. Navy,” the statement reads. “The Sailors were later transferred ashore by U.S. Navy aircraft, while other Sailors took charge of the RCBs and continued transiting toward Bahrain, the boats’ original destination.”
The Navy says that there is no evidence any of the sailors were harmed while detained.
The 10 were detained after two boats strayed over a mile into Iranian waters. The Navy said that they will perform an investigation into the incident, but early reports have suggested there may have been an issue with one or both of the boats’ navigational system.